CHEESY TOMATO-Y CHICKEN PASTA BAKE
Family dinners need to be easy to prepare and tasty for everyone. I’ve added extra veg into this, although my son managed to pick all the spinach out, as he does. Everyone else liked it though.
400g dried pasta (penne is good), cooked to manufacturer’s instructions
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 packs L’Authentique Chicken and bacon sausages
1 onion, finely chopped
1 red capsicum, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped (or crushed if it’s easier)
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1/2 cup white wine
2 x 440g tins crushed tomatoes
2 cups baby spinach leaves
Large handful fresh basil leaves
1 cup grated mozarella, plus extra for topping
Salt and pepper
- Heat the oven to 200ºC
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy based frying pan over medium/high heat. Add chicken sausages and cook until browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Reheat pan, adding more oil if necessary, over low heat. Add onion, capsicum, garlic and oregano, and cook, stirring occasionally until vegetables are soft.
- Pour over white wine and allow to bubble up. Boil until reduced by half.
- Add tinned tomatoes and stir to combine. Bring to the boil, and cook until sauce is thick. This should take about 30 minutes.
- Slice chicken sausages into chuncks and add to sauce. Cook for another 5 minutes, then stir through mozarella, spinach and basil. Season to taste.
- Add cooked pasta to the pan and stir to combine.
- At this stage you can either transfer the pasta mix to a large baking dish, or leave it in the pan if it’s oven proof.
- Sprinkle over extra grated mozarella, and bake until the top is golden, about 20 minutes. Allow to cool slightly and serve.