2 Tbsp olive oil
2 eggplants, tops removed, sliced into wedges
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic
Pinch chilli flakes
1/2 cup white wine
2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
2 Tbsp capers, drained
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
Large handful basil leaves, torn
Extra virgin olive oil
- Heat olive oil over moderate heat.
- Add onions, garlic and chilli and saute until onions are soft
- Add eggplants, stir to combine and cook for 5 minutes
- Add white wine, allow to bubble up, then pour over tomatoes.
- Bring to the boil and cook, uncovered, until liquid has reduced and sauce is thick
- Stir through capers and balsamic vinegar. Cook for another 2 minutes to soften vinegar slightly.
- Season to taste, stir through basil and drizzle over extra virgin olive oil.